Looking for the best air purifier for odor elimination?
If yes, then you’ve come to the right place.
Every household often has to deal with one bad odor or another. This often ranges from pet odor (dog urine, cat urine, or accidents), cooking odors, smoke, mold, cigarette smoke to an untreated sewage system.
While getting rid of the source of the odor is usually the best way to keep your home clean and fresh, sometimes it’s just not possible.
For example, cooking every day means that you have to deal with all sorts of odors day in, day out. And if your trained or untrained pet constantly urinates on the highly absorbent carpet, upholstery, and other hidden areas, then bad smells can be unbearable.
An air purifier is one of the best household inventions because apart from keeping the air in your home clean, fresh, and free from disease-causing bacteria and viruses, these devices also do a great job eliminating bad smells.
Below are the top 5 air purifiers for odor removal that will get rid of those nasty odors from your home.
Before we review our top picks, here are a few commonly asked questions about air purifiers and bad odors.
Do Air Purifiers Help With Smell?
Absolutely! Some air purifiers come with filters that help reduce unwanted smells like cooking fumes, pets, cigarette smoke odor, and more.
Some models come with replaceable charcoal filters that not only trap odors, but also add some freshness in the air.
Do Air Purifiers Help with Pet Odors?
Yes, they do. If you have more than one pet, it can be a daunting task to keep your home free from pet odors. That’s why it’s important to give your pets regular baths as is it helps eliminate bad odors while keeping them disease-free.
An air purifier will help eliminate dog smells, cat smells, and any other pet odor in the house.
Do Air Purifiers Remove Smoke Odors
Whether you have some cigarette smoke odor still lingering in the house or wildfire smoke odor, an air purifier will completely absorb smoke smells in the blink of an eye.
Germ Guardian True HEPA Filter Air Purifier with UV Light Sanitizer, Eliminates Germs, Filters Allergies, Pollen, Smoke, Dust Pet Dander, Mold Odors, Quiet 22 inch 4-in-1 Air Purifier for Home AC4825E
LEVOIT Air Purifiers for Home Allergies and Pets, Air Purifier with H13 True HEPA Filter for Hairs, Smokers, Smoke, Dust, Mold, Pollen in Bedroom, Large Room with Optional Night Light, Black, LV-H132
Pure Enrichment PureZone Elite 4-in-1 Air Purifier – True HEPA Filter + UV-C Sanitizer Cleans Air, Helps Alleviate Allergies, Removes Pet Hair & Smoke, For Large Rooms (White)
Best Air Purifier for Odor Removal
Here are the best air purifiers for odor control in the house or office.
The Germ Guardian True HEPA Filter Air Purifier is currently one of the best and most effective air purifiers for bad smells in the market right now.
This model comes with an Activated Charcoal Filter that helps reduce unwanted smells from your pets, cooking odors, cigarette smoke, and basically any other odor that may be lingering in the house.
This compact and sleek air purifier purifies the air in the room about 4 times per hour. It also features 3-speed settings that allow you to set the ideal air purification speed depending on the level of contamination.
For example, the highest speed setting is ideal for rooms that are highly contaminated with dust, pollen, bird dander, bacteria, and viruses, as well as odors. If you have an African Grey parrot that sheds a lot, an air purifier can help filter out all the dander, allowing you and your family to breathe easy.
The unit is capable of filtering air in medium to large sized rooms.
And thanks to its slim and compact design, this purifier can fit even in the smallest places. Simply place it in a strategic spot and let it do the work.
- True HEPA Filter- This air purifier is powerful enough to capture and reduce up to 99.97% of harmful contaminants like pollen, dust, mold spores, pet dander, germs, and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns
- UV C Light. The Germ Guardian also features an inbuilt UV C light that kills serious airborne viruses including rhinovirus, influenza, and staph. It also works alongside Titanium Dioxide to eliminate volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in contaminated areas
- AHAM Verified- This verification is proof that the unit’s CADR has been tested for its ability to eliminate dust, pollen, tobacco smoke, and determine the ideal room size through the CADR calculations. The unit’s dust CADR rating is 118, 125 for pollen, and 108 for smoke. A high CADR basically indicates that the unit is capable of filtering air a lot faster.
- Energy Star Certified and Carb Compliant- This means that the air purifier has met the set strict energy efficiency guidelines . It’s also Carb Compliant which means it has been verified by the California Air Resources Board
- Quiet Operation- When set to the lowest setting, the Germ Guardian air purifier offers a whisper-quiet operation, kind of like soothing white noise for peaceful, restful night
- Includes 4 replacement filters and a UV C light bulb (sold separately). The filter must be replaced every 6-8 months and the UV C bulb every 10-12 months
Germ Guardian Air Purifier Pros and Cons
- Powerful 3 –in –one air purifier that eliminates allergens, dust, smoke, odors, and kills disease causing viruses at the same time
- Ideal even for smaller spaces due to its compact size
- Energy efficient
- Verified and certified
- Quiet operation
- Adjustable speed settings
- Backed by a 3-Year Limited Warranty
- Budget-friendly compared to most models in the market
- Replacing filters and UV C light bulb means extra cost
The LEVOIT Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter is another popular air purifier that works efficiently to keep your home odor-free, dust-free, pollen-free, and germ-free.
If you have pets, it can be very hard to eliminate pet odors without a high-quality air purifier. Since your pets are bound to have accidents, your living space may become unbearable due to strong pet urine odors.
The same goes for cooking fumes lingering in the kitchen, tobacco smoke, untreated sewerage system, and other household odors.
The Levoit air purifier boasts of a 3-stage advanced filtration system which includes a HEPA Filter, Activated Carbon Filter, and UV C light.
This filtration system eliminates at least 99.97% of dust, pollen, pet dander, mold, allergens, smoke, odors, and other contaminants. This is especially important if you have allergies or have asthma.
The UV C light kills disease causing viruses such as rhinovirus, staph, and others.
The air purifier basically improves the quality of air in your home so that you an your family can enjoy fresh air all day, every day.
Air Purifier Features
- Highly efficient air purifier as it circulates the air in over 4 times per hour. This allows for fast air purification
- Compact design- ideal for small spaces- you can place it anywhere in the room
- Ultra-quiet operation- At its lowest setting, this purifier is ultra-silent, producing about 25db of noise. The noise acts as white noise for restful sleep
- Night Light- The unit features 2 bright night light settings. The dimmer setting is perfect for relaxation and quality sleep
- Built-in –Filter replacement- The unit includes a Smart Filter indicator that lets you know that you need to replace the filter. The filter must be replaced every 6-8 months to maintain the filtration effectiveness of the unit
- CARB compliant
- ETL/FCC certified
- 2 Year Quality Assurance and lifetime customer service
LEVOIT H132 Air Purifier Pros and Cons
- Affordable air purifier
- Highly effective when it comes to eliminating smells, dust, smoke, and other allergens
- Kills disease-causing bacteria and viruses lingering in the air
- An ideal choice for people suffering from allergies and asthma
- Ideal for small to medium rooms, dorm rooms, and offices
- Rapid air purification as it circulates the air in the room up to 4 times per hour
- Features night light for soothing and relaxing sleep
- Ultra-quiet- perfect for bedrooms, office, as well as baby nursery
- Includes a Filter Replacement Indicator that lets you know its time to replace the filter
- High-quality built and long-lasting
- It’s one of the best selling air purifiers in the market
- May not be suitable for large rooms
- Replacing filters means extra cost over the years
The PureEnrichment PureZone Air Purifier is our third best air purifier for odor elimination.
Like our top 2 picks, this unit features a 3 filtration system which work together to maintain freshness and eradicate disease causing germs in the air.
The air purifier includes a True HEPA Filter that traps up to 99.97% of dust, pet dander, pollen, and smoke. As well as household odors like cooking fumes, pet odor, and more.
If you constantly suffer from allergies or have asthma, an air purifier is must-have as it helps completely eliminate every single allergen in the house.
And by trapping all household odors, the air in your home will always remain clean and fresh.
Besides removing contaminants in the air, the PureEnrichment PureZone features a UV C light that kills disease-causing viruses and germs.
Air Purifier Features
- Ultra-Quiet Operation-the air purifier has a noise level of 30db, which makes it ideal for bedrooms, baby nurseries, and offices
- Features 3 speed settings- if you feel the air in your home is foul due to odors and contaminants, the highest speed settings will quickly eliminate them through rapid purification
- Timer Settings- Thanks to the timer, you get to set the unit to operate at different intervals including 2-4-8 hours
- Includes a Filter Reset Indicator that lets you know it’s time to replace the filter
- Covers medium-large-sized rooms- up tp 200 sq.ft
- Compact and sleek- won’t take up much space, which makes it ideal for small spaces
Overall, the PureEnrichment air purifier is an excellent odor eliminator as it will keep your home free from all sorts of odors. The unit is also within a good price range, though you’ll incur further costs for replacement filters. The unit is also compact so it won’t take up much room. Its an excellent air purifier for odor elimination and most importantly, its built to last.
The Honeywell HPA300 True HEPA Air Purifier is currently one of the best air purifiers for large rooms.
This extra-large purifier will cover room sizes up to 465 sq. ft.
The unit’s efficiency in improving the air quality and eliminating bad odors in your home is remarkable.
Thanks to the in-built True HEPA Filter, this unit is able to trap up to 99.97 percent of airborne particles as little as 0.3 microns. It will filter any pollen, dust, smoke, pet odor, stale odors, odors from untreated sewage system, bathroom odors, cooking odors, pet dander, mold spores, and any other airborne contaminant lingering in the air.
The purifier also captures disease-causing germs and bacteria, keeping you and your family members healthy and disease-free.
Air Purifier Features
- Rapid Air Purification- The Honeywell HPA300 air purifiers circulates and filters the air up to 5 times per hour. This makes it one of the best air purifiers for rapid air purification. As soon as you turn it on, the purifier will quickly clean the air so you can breathe easy. Perfect choice for allergy and asthma sufferers
- Features 3 air cleaning levels and a Turbo Clean setting that captures all airborne particles and odors
- AHAM verified
Overall, this is one of the best air purifiers for odor elimination, especially if you have large-sized rooms. You can place it anywhere in the house such as kitchen, living room, bedroom, baby nursery, basement, and any other area that is prone to bad odors.
The unit does not come cheap though. It’s a little bit expensive compared to our top models. However, given that this unit is designed to operate in rooms measuring up to 465 sq.ft, it’s easy to see why it would cost more.
The replacement filters are also costly compared to most models. But this shouldn’t discourage you from purchasing this unit since it’s considered as one of the best air purifiers for eliminating smells in the house.
The Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier packs all the essential features you would ever wish in a modern air purifier.
This unit utilizes a 4-stage filtration system that allows it to effectively eliminate airborne particles, odors, as will as disease-causing germs in the air.
The 4-stage filtration system includes a True HEPA Filter, Pre-filter, Deodorization filter, as well as Vital Ion.
All filters combined help reduce up to 99.97 percent of pollen, dust, smoke, mold spores, pet dander, and other allergens. So if you’re looking for the ideal air purifier for allergies and asthma, the Coway Mighty Air Purifier is an excellent choice.
The Deodorization Filter helps remove any unwanted odors in the air- these include cat and dog smells, pet urine, cooking fumes, stale odors, mold odor, untreated sewage system odors, bathroom odors, urine odors in the kids bedroom, and other household odors.
The air purifier also does a great job eliminating volatile organic compounds, making it one of the best voc air purifiers in the market.
Air Purifier Features
- Automatic Timer that allows the unit to run at intervals of 1-4-8 hours before automatically shutting down. This reduces power consumption, making it a highly energy efficient air purifier
- Air Quality Indicator- The unit has an inbuilt air quality sensor that indicates the indoor air quality in real time. The visible LED colored indicator basically lets you know how clean or dirty the air in your home is. The indicator does a lot more than just letting you know about the air quality in the room. If the indicator senses airborne particles in the air, it automatically adjusts the fan speed depending on the quantity of particles. This means if the air is extremely polluted, the indicator will adjust the fan to the highest setting for rapid purification
- Air Flow Control- The Coway air purifier also includes 3-fan speeds that that allow you to effectively adjust air circulation and filtration depending on your purification needs
- Vital Ion System- A bipolar ionizer, the system is part of the 4-stage filtration system that effectively generate electrochemical reactions that help eliminate airborne particles in the air
- Includes a Filter Replacement Indicator that lets you know it’s time to replace both the HEPA and prefilter.
- Backed by a 1 Year warranty on internal parts and 3 Years for the electronic parts
Overall, the Coway AP-1512HH is an excellent air purifier for odor control. It will cover rooms measuring up to 361 sq.ft, making it ideal for living rooms, apartments, and other medium-sized spaces.
The unit does not come cheap, but since it offers a wide range of advanced features that are not available in most models, it’s totally worth it.
The build is great and as long as you replace the filters within the recommended period, this air purifier should serve you for many years.
Best Air Purifier for Odor Elimination- Wrapping it Up
One of the biggest problems facing many homeowners is household odors. Those who own pets often have a challenge keeping their homes clean, fresh, and dander-free. It even becomes worse when you have to deal with pet urine odors every single day.
Air purifiers are life-saving little devices that make your life worth living by eliminating any odors in the house. Whether you’re dealing with excessive cooking odors, pet odors, cigarette smoke, or even wildfire smoke odors, a high quality air purifier will come in very handy by keeping the air in your home smelling clean and fresh.
Our best air purifier for odor elimination is the Germ Guardian True HEPA Filter Air Purifier. The purifier is currently one of the best-selling air purifiers in the market. Not to mention that its affordable pricing is quite enticing for many consumers. Go ahead and take your pick and enjoy clean air all day, everyday!