If you’re looking for the best humidifier for dry eyes, then you’re in the right place.
This article discusses in detail the best humidifiers that will prevent and ease the symptoms of dry eyes.
Dry eyes is a condition that occurs when your tear glands are unable to produce enough tears to lubricate your eyes. This can happen due to varying reasons like;
- Damage of your tear gland due to radiation or inflammation
- Certain medications such as antidepressants, antihistamines, decongestants, etc
- Certain medical conditions such as thyroid disorder, diabetes, arthritis, Sjogren Syndrome, and more
- Laser eye surgery (though the symptoms are temporary)
- Little humidity in the air (dry air)
- Aging as tear production tends to reduce with age
- Vitamin A deficiency
- Air conditioners and oscillating fans which cause excessive air movement
- Excessive wind and smoke
Like most eye conditions, dry eyes can cause uncomfortable symptoms like itching, blurry vision, eye redness, light sensitivity, or a feeling like something is stuck in your eyes.
A number of effective treatments are available for dry eyes, hence its important to see your eye doctor as soon as you notice the above symptoms. In addition to seeking medical advice, using a Humidifier is one of the most effective ways of alleviating dry eye symptoms.
How Does a Humidifier Help with Dry Eyes?
A humidifier is a device/appliance that increases humidity/moisture in the air of a room/building. By doing so, a humidifier helps prevent dryness to the eyes. It also helps prevent excessive dryness to other parts of the body such as the skin, nose, lips, and throat.
How to Choose the Best Humidifier for Dry Eye Problem (Buyer’s Guide)
Here are a few important things to consider when choosing a humidifier for your dry eyes.
1.Type of Humidifier
There are 4 main types of humidifiers in the market right now. They include;
- Warm Mist Humidifiers– As the name suggests, warm mist humidifiers emit a warm and soothing mist. Also known as Steam Vaporizers, warm mist humidifiers typically use a heating element to boil water which then creates a warm mist. They are electrically powered, are portable, and typically some of the cheapest humidifiers in the market. But since their tanks contain hot water, they are not safe to use around children as they can cause severe burns if tipped over.
- Cool Mist Humidifiers– Cool mist humidifiers are available in two types- Ultrasonic and Evaporative. Ultrasonic models utilize a small vibrating diaphragm which vibrates at an ultrasonic speed in order to agitate water into tiny water particles (mist). A small silent fan then circulates and pushes the cool mist into the room. Evaporative cool mist humidifiers on the other hand comes with a fan that blows air through a wet wick which then cools down while picking up moisture from the wet wick. The air is blown into the room which brings in some cool humidity.
- Central Humidifiers– Central Humidifiers are typically installed into your home’s HVAC system. Because they are large, powerful, and highly efficient, central humidifiers are perfect for adding humidifier throughout the entire house, not just a single space. They also cost more compared to portable humidifiers
- Air Washers– Air Washers are a type of humidifiers that increase humidity in the room while at the same time purifying the air. The combination of water and rotating discs built in these humidifiers help increase moisture levels in the air while removing dust particles, pollen, and other airborne particles. They produce a cool mist and are designed to cover larger areas. Because they absorb airborne impurities from the air, air washers require good care and maintenance to operate effectively and efficiently.
What Size Humidifier Do You Need?
The size of your room will determine the size of humidifier you’ll get. You’ll have to measure the size of the room in square footage and from there, you can choose the right size humidifier.
The good news is that humidifiers come in varying sizes like;
- Portable/Tabletop Humidifiers which are smaller and portable and are therefore ideal for smaller spaces like your living room, bedroom, or even office
- Room Humidifier are large enough to cover a bigger room or several rooms at once. They are typically ideal for rooms measuring from 650 to 1000 sq. ft
- Whole House Humidifiers are big-sized humidifiers which are designed to cover the entire house, usually from 1700 all the way to 2700 square feet.
Best Humidifiers for Dry Eye Syndrome Comparison Table;
|1.Everlasting Comfort Humidifier||Cool Mist|
|2.Pure Enrichment MistAire||Cool Mist|
|3.TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier||Cool Mist|
|4.Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier||Cool Mist|
|6.Premium Ultrasonic Humidifier||Cool/Warm|
|7.HuPro PRO-775 Humidifier||Cool Mist|
|8.AIRCARE MA0800 Digital Whole-House Humidifier|
|9.GENIANI Top Fill Cool Mist Humidifier||Cool Mist|
|10.LEVOIT Humidifier||Cool Mist|
Best Humidifier for Dry Eyes-Our Top Picks
The number of humidifiers in the market is quite huge and choosing one can be a daunting task. But worry not, we’ve got you covered. Here are the top humidifiers that we feel will help ease your dry eyes while making the air in your room more tolerable especially during hot summer days.
The Everlasting Comfort Humidifier is one of the most popular cool mist humidifiers in the market right now.
With its 1.6 Gallon tank, this humidifier is designed to increase humidity in bedrooms and rooms measuring up to 500 sq.ft.
With a high mist output of up to 9 oz or 270ml per hour, this device quickly adds moisture into your bedroom. This ensures the humidity levels in your bedroom or any other room in the house remains above the recommended 43 percent.
By adding moisture into the air, this cool mist humidifier helps ease and prevent the symptoms of dry eyes like irritation, itching, redness, light sensitivity, and others.
An increase in moisture also helps relieve dry and itchy skin.
Are you constantly struggling with insomnia or irritated and dry nasal passages? Well, the Everlasting Comfort cool Mist Humidifier can help.
Apart from easing dry nasal passage, this device also comes with a built-in essential oil tray that lets you add your favorite essential oils and enjoy a comfortable, restful sleep all night long. It diffuses oils pretty much like an essential oils diffuser.
You can place it in your bedroom or baby’s nursery to alleviate dry nose, cough, and other sleep related issues.
- Filterless Design
The Everlasting Comfort humidifier boasts of a filterress design. This means that you don’t have to spend more money purchasing replacement filters.
- Automatic Shut Off
This model automatically shuts off when the water tank is empty. A red indicator light will appear to warn you the tank is empty. During this time, the device automatically shuts off to prevent any damage, and for your own safety.
To refill, first turn the device off and unplug from the power source.
A green light indicates that the device is on and functioning.
- Large Capacity Water Tank
The Everlasting Comfort humidifier can hold up to 1.5 Gallons or 6 liters of water. The device emits approximately 270ml of mist each hour. This means that the 6L gallon can last up to 50 hours before requiring a refill. It will cover up to 500 sq.ft.
- Kills Airborne Bacteria and Viruses
By increasing humidity in the room, this humidifier greatly reduces airborne viruses and bacteria. When used in combination with an air purifier, the air in your home will remain free from disease causing pathogens.
- Prevents and Eases Allergies and Colds
Dry air can bring about countless health issues like cough, blocked nose, severe allergies, as well as sinuses.
This device provides unmatched protection from all these complications by keeping the humidity level in your bedroom, baby nursery, or living room at the recommended 43 percent.
- Extra Quiet Humidifier
This humidifier is impressively silent, thanks to the inbuilt Ultrasonic Technology that allows the device to produce near-silent frequency. If you’re looking for a bedroom or baby nursery humidifier, the Everlasting Comfort model is a perfect choice.
What We Like Most
- The unit is very affordable
- Cost-efficient since you won’t need to purchase replacement filters
- The essential oils tray eliminates the need to purchase a separate oil diffuser
- Eliminates disease causing bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens from the air
- Shuts off automatically when empty, thus preventing damages to the unit and for your own safety
- Ideal for anyone suffering dry eyes, nose, skin, cough, sinuses, allergies, and more
- Lightweight and portable
- Built with performance and durability in mind
- Easy to clean
- Energy efficient
What we Dislike
- Distilled water is recommended since tap or hardwater may cause mineral build up. Of course, this means extra costs in the long run. However, to ensure optimal performance and durability of this unit, distilled water is your best bet
- Few complaints about some weird odor being expelled into the air. This is often caused by bacteria building up in the unit. Its therefore advisable to give it a thorough clean up at least once a month
- Not dishwasher safe- cleaning it should be easy and quick though. Furthermore, it would be unwise to wash it in a dishwasher this may damage the power components and even pose a health hazard
- Cordless, meaning you cannot use it with batteries.
- Power cord is relatively short
The Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier is yet another affordable and popular humidifier for anyone looking to ease their dry eyes symptoms.
The humidifier’s tank can hold up to 1.5 liters of water, which is enough to increase humidity in the room for up to 16 hours of non-stop operation.
The unit’s capacity is not as big as our first pick, but it’s sure enough to get you through the day or night before requiring a refill.
The Pure Enrichment humidifier will cover up to 250 sq.ft, making it ideal for single rooms such as bedrooms, baby nursery, and even office. Due to its small capacity, it’s not ideal for whole house humidification.
- 360 Degree Mist Nozzle
The humidifier comes with a rotating mist nozzle that lets you direct mist to any direction. This allows you to increase humidity only in the areas you want and avoid areas you don’t want the mist to spread.
For example, it’s advisable to direct the mist away from electronics, furniture, upholstery, pets, as well as plants.
- Easy to Clean
Included is a disk cleaning brush that lets you scrub off any dirt and residual minerals.
- Automatic Shut Off
The automatic shut off features turn the unit off when the water level is low or when empty to avoid damages and for safety purposes.
- Night Light
The humidifier includes a soft blue glow that acts as a soothing and relaxation night light.
- Ultra QUIET
This model comes with the ultrasonic technology that allows it to operate quietly making it suitable for use in the bedroom or baby’s room.
What We Like
- 360-degree mist nozzle that lets you direct mist in any direction
- High and low speed settings that let you increase or decrease the speed of mist output
- Its 1.5 liters capacity makes it Ideal for medium-sized rooms
- Automatically shuts off when empty
- Ultra quiet for restful sleep and reduced distractions
- Comes with soothing and relaxation soft blue glow for a restful night
- Backed by a 5-Year Warranty
- One of the most popular humidifiers in the market
What We Don’t Like
- Low water capacity- unlike our top unit which has a 6L tank capacity, the Pure Enrichment humidifier can only hold a mere 1.5 L of water. It’s not bad at all if you don’t mind refilling the unit every single day
- Only lasts 16 hours of continuous operation due to low tank capacity
The TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier helps maintain humidity levels between 40 percent and 60 percent in the air, thus eliminating dry air that causes a wide range of complications like eye dryness, dry skin, nasal congestion, and more.
The humidifier’s water tank can hold up to 4 Liters of water which will last for about 12-30 hours of continuous operation. This makes it a perfect choice for overnight humidification in the bedroom or baby’s room.
The humidifier is ideal for medium-large-sized rooms, particularly those measuring 100-320 sq.ft.
The unit features a 360 degrees mist nozzle that lets you direct the mist in whatever direction you wish. This allows you to avoid areas that you wouldn’t want touched by the mist, like furniture, electronics, upholstery, and other sensitive areas.
- This model comes with a Microporous Filter Cartridge that filters all harmful micro-organisms and bad odor from the water. This allows you to breathe fresh, healthy, and well humidifier air. The filter is replaceable, so be sure to replace it as directed by the manufacturer
- Auto Shut Off- The humidifier automatically turns off when the water level in the tank is low, or when its completely empty. This helps avoid damage to the unit and ensures you and your family are safe from potential fire hazards/electrical accidents
- Built-In Handle- The built-in handle allows for easier handling when cleaning or refilling the unit
- Automatic Humidity Monitoring- The humidifier comes with a built-in Humidistat that monitors and lets you know the room’s current Relative Humidity.
- 3 Mist Output- The unit also comes with mist output settings that let you easily control the amount of mist expelled into the air. You also get to choose the desired humidity level where the manufacturer recommends setting it between 40%-60%
- Night Light and Sleep Mode- This model features an LED screen that emits a soft glow blue light that enhances comfort and relaxation during sleep. The nightlight produces a soothing yet discreet light that allows you or your baby to sleep better all night long
- Microporous Cartridge filters- To ensure that the air you breathe does not contain any harmful microorganisms or bad odor, the humidifier comes with a microporous cartridge filter. The filter must be replaced every 4-6 months.
- Large tank capacity
- 12-30 hours of continuous operation, which is impressive
- Nightlight for quality sleep
- Whisper quiet. Perfect for bedroom and baby nursery
- Automatic shut off
- Ideal for large-sized bedrooms
- Filters have to be replaced every 4-6 months, which means extra cost. However, this is for your own benefit as it helps keep the air clean and fresh
The Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier is yet another popular humidifier in the market right now.
If you’re looking for a warm mist humidifier for dry eyes, this model is an excellent choice.
This can hold about 1 Gallon of water which can last up to 24 hours of continuous operation.
The humidifier releases a warm mist and is therefore a perfect choice for baby nurseries, kids bedrooms, and bedrooms. This is because the warm mist helps provide great relief from congestion, colds, sinuses as well as coughing.
Place it in your bedroom or baby nursery for a night free of congestion and blockages.
The warm mist released by this unit also relieves dry nose, dry eyes, itchy skin, as well as chapped lips. This is all made possible by the unit’s ability to maintain optimal humidity levels in the air.
According to the manufacturer, you can use this humidifier alongside Vicks VapoSteam. This combination provides temporary relief from congestion and coughing, allowing you to breathe easy.
Additionally, the unit releases about 95 percent bacteria free mist into the air.
- 2 Mist Output settings-Lets you set the amount of mist you need
- Features a Medicine Cup that you can use to place liquid inhalants like the Vicks VapoSteam
- Maintains 40-60 percent humidity in the air
- Ideal for relieving congestion and coughs, which makes it an excellent choice for babies and people with allergies and colds
- Extra large LED display lets you clearly see the temperature and humidity levels
- Includes a Protec Humidifier Cleaning Ball for easy and thorough cleaning
- Auto shut off- turns off when empty to avoid damage to the unit
- Whisper quiet operation which makes it ideal for baby’s room and bedroom
- Backed by a 3 Year Warranty
- Last longer compared to some models
- Can be combined with a vaporizer for congestion and cough relief
- Ideal for sleeping as it prevents blockage and congestion
- Great choice for baby nurseries
- Ideal for large bedrooms and nurseries
- Mist output settings let you control the amount of mist expelled into the air
- Filterless- cost friendly as you don’t need to purchase any filters
- Easy to clean with the included Cleaning Ball
- Light doesn’t turn off- so if you can’t sleep with a blue glow on, then it may not be a suitable fit
The LEVOIT Warm and Cool Mist humidifier is one of the largest humidifiers that can cover large-sized rooms, thanks to its 6L water tank capacity.
With a mist output of 500 ml per hour and a high tank capacity, this humidifier can expel mist up to 36 hours of continuous operation.
The humidifier can easily increase moisture in spaces as large as 753 sq.ft. This makes it one of the best humidifiers for large rooms.
The unit comes with a built-in sensor that monitors the humidity levels in the room. By making the necessary adjustments, the humidifier ensures optimal humidify levels are maintained in the room at all times.
- Remote control-The unit comes with an easy to use remote control that allows you to adjust the settings without moving from where you’re. For example, if you’ve placed it in the bedroom, you simply adjust the settings without moving an inch from the comfort of your bed.
- Convenient Timer- To make sure the humidifier is only turned on when you’re around, you can set the time to match your schedule. For example, before you go to work, you can set it off and only turn it on at night when you’re around.
- Perfect humidifier for Winter and Summer- Since the LEVOIT humidifier is a warm and cool mist humidifier combo, it’s convenient for use both during winter and summer. During summer, you can set the cool mist on to keep your eyes, skin, and sinuses well hydrated. During winter, set the warm mist function on and reduce congestion, coughs, allergies, and other cold-related illnesses.
- Includes an Essential Oils Box- Also included is an Aroma Box where you get to add your favorite essential oils. You don’t need to purchase a separate essential oils diffuser. N.B. Do not add the oils inside the humidifier’s water tank as this may cause leaks or damage to the unit
- Ultra-Quiet Operation
- Improves sleep
- Fights dry eyes and skin
- Relieves allergies, congestion, cough, and other symptoms
- Automatic shut off- The unit automatically turns of when the water level is low or when empty so you don’t have to worry about the unit becoming damaged. Also, the automatic shut off function makes the unit less prone to fire and electrical hazards
- Compact and portable- The unit won’t take up much space in your hours. It’s also lightweight and portable
- Comes with a 1-Year Assurance for your peace of mind
Best Humidifier for Dry Eyes-Verdict
Dry eye syndrome is a problem that must be addressed quickly before it leads to serious complications.
The Everlasting Comfort Cool Mist Humidifier is currently one of the best humidifiers for dry eyes in the market right now. Plus its also affordable with lots of convenient features that you’ll absolutely love. All in all, go ahead and take your pick from these top 10 humidifiers for dry eye syndrome.