Looking for the best air purifier for African Grey Parrots? Well, read on!
You see, African Grey Parrots are known to produce more powder than most bird species. While most birds produce fine dust particles from broken feathers, these birds have smaller feathers that actually produce some fine, waxy powder whose purpose is to keep their feathers waterproof.
One the parrot shakes its feathers, the air around you will be covered in dust, which causes allergic reactions, sometimes severe.
Allergies from African grey parrot dust has been found to cause a condition known as Allergic Alveolitis. This is a condition that causes acute symptoms like chills, fever, difficulty breathing, and cough. The symptoms usually disappear once the dust is expelled from the air.
Allergic Alveolitis may also become chronic, causing serious complications like reduced lung capacity which makes breathing quite difficult. This may result in severe lung damage.
What is the Solution to African Grey Dander Allergies?
Well, you could give up the bird to keep your home allergy-free, but this might not probably work because you’re already attached to the bird. So the best option would be to keep the bird and get the dust under control.
So how do you do this?
Well, one of the most effective methods of keeping dust from the African Grey Parrot in control by using an Air Purifier.
Because the fine dust particles from your parrot remain floating in the air of your home, an air purifier set inside the room or close to the parrot’s cage will trap all the dust and dander, keeping your air clean.
Air purifiers are designed with a fine mesh filter that effectively traps any fine particles in your home, including dust mites, pollen, smoke, and other allergens.
Most air purifiers are portable, so you move them from room to room to eliminate any allergy-causing particles. You can also have a Whole House Air Purifier that is set at a strategic place in your house and does a great job keeping the air in every single part of your home allergen-free.
And of course, it’s important to give your bird regular baths to minimize the amount of powder and dander in the air.
That said, let’s have a look at 5 of the best air purifiers for African grey parrots.
Germ Guardian True HEPA Filter Air Purifier with UV Light Sanitizer, Eliminates Germs, Filters Allergies, Pollen, Smoke, Dust Pet Dander, Mold Odors, Quiet 22 inch 4-in-1 Air Purifier for Home AC4825E
LEVOIT Air Purifiers for Home Allergies and Pets, Air Purifier with H13 True HEPA Filter for Hairs, Smokers, Smoke, Dust, Mold, Pollen in Bedroom, Large Room with Optional Night Light, Black, LV-H132
Pure Enrichment PureZone Elite 4-in-1 Air Purifier – True HEPA Filter + UV-C Sanitizer Cleans Air, Helps Alleviate Allergies, Removes Pet Hair & Smoke, For Large Rooms (White)
Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover, 465 sq. Ft, HPA300 & Filter R True HEPA Replacement Filter – 1 Pack of 3 filters
Best Air Purifier for African Grey Parrot (Reviews and Buyer’s Guide)
1.Germ Guardian True HEPA Filter Air Purifier– Best Air Purifier for African Grey
The Germ Guardian True HEPA Filter Air Purifier is currently one of the best air purifiers that do a great job removing all sorts of pet dander, dust, and other allergens.
A 3 in 1 air purifier, this particular model features:
- A pre-filter and charcoal filter, that traps larger dust particles, pet dander, and absorbs odors
- True HEPA Filter that traps all sorts of allergens including dust, pet dander, and dust mites
- UV-C Light that kills airborne viruses and bacteria
According to its manufacturer, this air purifier reduces dust, allergens, and disease-causing germs and bacteria up to 99.7%. Additionally, it contains an Activated Charcoal Filter that helps remove unwanted odors from the house.
The Germ Guardian True HEPA Filter air purifier also happens to be one of the quietest air purifiers in the market. As a matter of fact, you can adjust it to the lowest setting which will act as a White Noisemaker, for a quiet, peaceful nap or sleep.
As far as the room size is concerned, this air purifier is ideal for medium to large rooms measuring up to 167 square feet. It filters 4 x per hour at maximum speed, which makes it ideal for large-sized rooms. Simply place it at the corner of any room and the air in your house will always be clean and fresh.
Tips from Manufacturer:
- To ensure long-lasting performance, only use genuine replacement parts for the model
- The filter should be replaced every 6-8 months and 10-12 months for the UV C bulb.
Additionally, this air purifier is AHAM verified, which means it has been thoroughly tested for its ability to filter pollen, dust, and tobacco smoke. It’s also Energy Star Certified & Carb Compliant which means it meets strict energy efficiency guidelines that are set by the US EPA.
Overall, this is the best air purifier if you have an African Grey parrot because it filters out all the bird’s dander and dust.
Germ Guardian Air Purifier Pros
- 3 in 1 purifier that removes dust and allergens, kills disease-causing germs in the air, ad removes bad odors from your pet and cooking smells
- The air purifier is quiet
- The lowest setting can be used as white noise to enhance sleep quality
- Ideal for medium to large rooms
- Portable air purifier- you can easily carry it and place it in any room
- AHAM and Energy Star Certified
- Ideal for home, bedroom, and office
- Sleek and compact- won’t use up much space in the house, bedroom, or office
- Affordable compared to most models in the market.
- A significant number of positive reviews from happy customers and high product rating
- Built to last with excellent performance
Germ Guardian Air Purifier Cons
- Some customers say its quiet, but not exactly “ultra quiet”. Still good for sleeping though
The Levoit Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter is another best-selling air purifier that not only does a great job removing pet dander, dust, dust mites, smoke, and other allergens, but it’s also impressively quiet.
The Levoit features a 3-Stage Filtration System which include;
- A Fine Preliminary Filter that easily obstructs larger particles such as pet fur, hair, lint, and fibers
- A True HEPA Filter that captures fine particles such as pollen, airborne bacteria, dust mites, pet dander and dust, and other allergens
- An Activated Carbon Filter that easily absorbs all odors in the house, including pet odors, cooking smells, and more.
Great for All Types of Pets
These three filtration systems make the Levoit purifier a great choice for children and those suffering from Asthma. All you have to do is place it in any room where you want the air purified, and you’re good to go. It will capture 99.97 percent of any contaminants and allergens in your home.
Another feature worth noting is its Ultra-Silent Operation. The Levoit air purifier is one of the quietest air purifiers, thanks to its ability to filter air at the lowest noise level- about 25db. It won’t interrupt your sleep whatsoever. As a matter of fact, the minimal noise it produces is soothing and relaxing, allowing you to sleep better.
To ensure the air in the room remains clean and fresh, the Levoit circulates the air at least 4 times per hour. This makes it one of the most efficient air purifiers in the market.
To top it all, this purifier comes with 2 brightness night lights where the brighter setting is perfect for relaxation while the dimmer setting offers just the right amount of cool light for relaxation and quality sleep.
Overall, the Levoit Air Purifier is a perfect choice for bird owners as it easily traps and eliminates bird dander, dust, and even odors from your pets. Its budget-friendly and its compact size and design make it suitable for practically any room- from the bedroom, office, living room, to dorm rooms. But since the purifier is only designed for small to medium rooms, it might not be a good choice if you have larger rooms.
Tips from the Manufacturer;
- Only use genuine Levoit replacement parts to ensure continued performance
- Replace the filter every 6-8 months. There is a built-in replacement indicator that will let you know when to replace the filter
Levoit Air Purifier Pros
- A highly efficient air purifier that ensures rapid air purification in your house or office
- An ideal choice for children and asthma sufferers
- A great choice for removing harmful mold spores, pollen, and other disease-causing allergens
- Perfect for African Grey parrot and other “dusty” birds since it removes up to 99.97% of the particles and contaminants in the air
- No need to purchase odor removers- this air purifier effectively absorbs any odors in the house, including kitchen smells and pet odors
- Ultra silent air purifier with a relaxing low noise level which is ideal for quality sleep
- Comes with 2 bright night lights for promoting sleep and relaxation
- Made in California and ETL/FCC Certified for observing strict standards for indoor cleaning devices
- Portable and compact
- Quite affordable
Levoit Air Purifier Pros
- Not ideal for larger rooms- only designed for small to medium rooms
- Will only filter one room at a time
- Some people feel it’s a little bit bulky
The Pure Enrichment PureZone is another amazing air purifier that does a great job removing pet dander, bird dust and fine feather particles, pollen, dust, dust mites, smoke, as well as common household odors from the kitchen and pets.
Like our top 2 picks, this model also features a 3-in-1 purification system that includes a HEPA filter for trapping dust, pollen, smoke, and other airborne particles, Activated Carbon Filter for absorbing household odors and other gasses in the house, and a Pre-Filter that traps initial dust and allergen particles.
The Pure Enrichment purifier also includes a UV-C Light that instantly kills disease-causing bacteria, fungi, viruses, and other harmful particles in the air. So basically, the air in your house becomes not only clean and fresh but also safe for you and your pets.
Another impressive feature you won’t find in most models is its Ultra-Quiet Operation. With its 30db noise level, you can place this purifier in your bedroom without ever having to worry about noise. You can as well place it in your baby’s room for restful sleep.
It’s easy to operate and one of the most efficient air purifiers in the market right now. This particular model is also quite affordable and comes with a 5 Year Manufacturer’s Warranty and exceptional customer support.
Overall, the Pure Enrichment Air Purifier is one of the best performing air purifiers and a great choice for bird owners with an African Grey Parrot.
Looking to replace the filter. Check filter prices on Amazon
Pure Enrichment Air Purifier Pros and Cons
- Highly efficient 3-in-1 air purifier
- Quiet operation- won’t interrupt sleep
- Easy to use- features a Touch Button Technology
- Features a power-saving Automatic Timer with automatic shutoff
- Eliminates disease-causing viruses, bacteria, as well as mold spores and fungi
- Comes with a 5-Year Warranty
- Exceptional customer service from the manufacturer
- Features a filter reset indicator that lets you know when to replace the filter
- Compact and portable-won’t take up much space
- Ideal for small to medium rooms
- Not suitable for larger rooms- you’ll need a larger unit for large rooms
The Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover is one of the largest air purifiers in the market right now, covering up to 465 sq.ft. It’s basically recommended for extra-large rooms.
According to its manufacturer, this purifier is able to trap approximately 99.97% of airborne particles like dust, pollen, dust mites, mold spores, pet dander, as well as smoke. It’s therefore a great choice if you have an African Grey parrot that expels dust a lot.
It also helps eliminate household odors like smoke, cooking smells, as well as other pet dander, leaving your home clean and fresh.
A highly efficient air purifier, the Honeywell is a perfect choice for children and adults suffering from asthma. It filters and circulates the air in your home 5 times per hour in large rooms.
It’s also an ideal choice if you’re allergic to pet dander, bird dust, and other airborne particles. It basically cleans your air so you can breathe easy!
To ensure proper maintenance and performance over the years, the manufacturer recommends replacing the filter on a yearly basis.
And as far as the filters are concerned, the replacement filters are compatible with other air purifier series from Honeywell- including HPA090, HPA100, HPA200, and HPA300.
It’s one of the best air purifiers for large rooms and this makes it ideal for living rooms, large bedrooms, and other large areas in the house.
This particular model does cost a little bit more compared to some models especially due to the fact that it’s designed for large rooms. The large the unit, the more expensive it is.
Overall, this is an excellent choice if you have an African Grey parrot around the house.
Honeywell Air Purifier Pros and Cons
- Removes up to 99.97% of airborne particles, smoke, dust, allergens, pollen, and smokes
- Does a great job eliminating cooking smells and pet dander
- Kills germs, bacteria, and other disease causing contaminants
- Filters and circulates air at least 5 times per hour-assurance that the air in your home will always be clean, fresh, and allergens-free
- HEPA filters are certified
- Comes with 3 extra filters
- Perfect for large rooms
- Easy to use
- Sleek and compact
- Doesn’t come cheap
The Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier is another excellent choice if you’re looking to keep your African Grey parrot’s dander and dust at bay.
This sleek and compact purifier offers a 4-Stage Air Filtration System which allows it to trap a whopping 99.97% of all the contaminants in your home. This is unlike most models which offer just three. They include:
- A Pre-Filter with a micro-mesh that allows it to trap large particles like hair, dust, and fur
- True HEPA Filter that captures allergens and other airborne contaminants down to 0.3 microns
- An Activated Carbon Odor Filter that eliminates bad odors, smaller particles, and other harmful gases in the house.
- Vital Ionizer that maximizing air cleaning power for ultimate freshness
Impressively, the Coway AP-1512HH Air Purifier also features a Pollution Sensor that tracks your house’s air quality in real-time. The sensor’s brightly colored LED sensor light informs you how clean or dirty the air in your house is.
Another thing, the purifier features 3 fan speeds that allow you to adjust the rate at which air circulation occurs to match your air purification needs. Even better, the Auto Mode automatically shuts off the air purifier is no contaminants are detected in the air, thus saving a great deal of energy.
Also included is Timer that allows you to easily schedule hours of operation at 1-4-8-12 intervals. This means you don’t have to keep the air purifier all through the day and night, allowing you to save on energy.
This high-tech piece of equipment also comes with a Filter Replacement Indicator. The Indicator lets you know when the filter is ready for replacement, and when it’s time to wash it. . The indicator basically monitors both the True HEPA Filter and the Pre-Filter .
This model is Ultra-Quiet with a noise level that ranges from 24.4dB to 53.4dB. You can still get a restful sleep all night long as the machine purifies the air in your bedroom. You can also place it in your child’s room as it’s less interruptive.
Overall, the Coway AP-1512HH Air Mighty Purifier does the job right and being an energy efficient purifier means you get to save money on energy. It’s one of the best air purifiers for African Grey Parrots and being a multipurpose air purifier, you can be sure that you and your entire household will always breathe easy.
Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier Pros and Cons
- Keeps the air in your home clean and fresh, thanks to its incredibly powerful 4-Stage Filtration System
- Removes odors and harmful gases in the air
- Automatic shut off makes it one of the best energy efficient air purifiers
- Timer allows for systematic air purification
- Features a Filter Replacement Indicator
- Ultra quiet operation- one of the best silent air purifiers in the market
- Backed by a Limited Manufacturer’s Warranty
- Features an air quality indicator- lets you know at what extent your indoor air quality is contaminated
- Designed for middle-sized spaces including living rooms and apartments
- Sleek ,compact, and portable
- Slightly expensive compared to some of our top models
Best Air Purifier for African Grey Parrot- Wrapping it Up
Well, that’s a wrap guys! These are the 5 best air purifiers for African Grey parrot. These models are some of the best and most efficient air purifiers you’ll ever find on the market. They are quite price-friendly and as you can see, they do a pretty good job keeping the air in your house clean and fresh.
Our selection is based on the numerous positive reviews from customers as well as favorable product ratings. Go ahead and take your pick. Hopefully, you’ll be able to find one that best suits your home’s air purification needs. Good luck!