Are you looking for the best space heater for large rooms with high ceilings? Well, look no further. This post reviews 5 of the best space heaters that will keep your high ceiling room warm and comfy during those chilly winter months. Read on.
If in a hurry, here is a listing of the 5 best space heaters for high ceilings.
Why are High Ceilings Harder to Heat Compared to Standard-Height Rooms?
Most people consider high ceilings as elegant and classic. They make a room/home feel bigger thanks to the extra space.
But then, with the extra space, high ceilings cost more to heat compared to standard-height rooms.
You see, since heat rises, the ceiling heats up faster, while the area closer to the ground takes longer to become warm enough. While you can install a ceiling fan to push the warm air down, you’re better off investing in a quality space heater that can quickly and evenly heat up your large room with a high ceiling.
In this post, we review the 5 best space heaters for large rooms with high ceilings. Our review also includes a comprehensive buyer’s guide and tips on how to choose the perfect space heater for your high ceilings. Our review also aims to help you choose a space heater that will heat the air more efficiently to save on energy bills, and one that is safe to touch, and of course, budget-friendly.
Also read: Best Air Purifiers for African Grey
Things to Bear in Mind When Choosing the Best Space Heater for a Large Room with High Ceilings
Space heaters provide a convenient way to quickly raise the room’s temperature and add some warmth during chilly nights and those harsh winter months.
Most models are portable, which means you can easily heat just one room instead of the entire house. This of course helps to reduce heating costs.
They also come in a variety of sizes, designs, cost, and a wide array of features and this allows consumers to choose those that suit their home heating needs.
That being said, before you whip out your wallet and make the purchase, there are a few important things you should bear in mind. Like I stated earlier, there are literally tens if not hundreds of space heater brands, and choosing the right one can be a daunting task.
This is especially so if you’re looking for a space heater for your large room with high ceilings. This article discusses 6 most important things to consider before buying a space heater for your large room with a high ceiling.
1. Room Size
The size of the space heater should be in accordance with your room size to ensure efficient heating. In the case of a larger room with a high ceiling, a bigger space heater would do much better compared to a small heater. As a general rule of thumb, a space heater will use approximately 10 Watts to heat each square foot of your room. For example, a 1500 Watts space heater will cover spaces as large as 150 square feet. However, some models with advanced heating technology will heat up more space, even up to 800 square feet or more.
2. Type of Heater
There are 3 main types of space heaters: Radiant, Convection, and Combination heaters.
- Radiant space heaters are a great choice if you want to get warm faster. Rather than heating the surrounding air, radiant heaters heat the people and objects in the room. So if you have a large room with a high ceiling, you don’t have to wait for the huge space to heat up. These types of heaters are also referred to as Infrared Heaters as they use infrared heating technology to heat up objects in the room.
- Convection Space Heaters-Unlike radiant heaters, convection heaters heat the air in a room, not the people or objects. Instead, the heaters emit hot air that rises to the ceiling. The cooler air in the ceiling is then pushed towards the ground, allowing for even distribution of heat in the room. This is one reason that makes it a great choice for rooms with higher ceilings. Common types of convection space heaters include Oil-filled heaters, water-filled heaters, and baseboard heaters.
- Combination Heaters-Combination heaters are a little bit different from both convection and radiant space heaters. This is because they use a fan to distribute warm air throughout the room.
3. Space Heater Design/Style
Space heaters come in a wide array of styles and designs. They include;
- Wall heaters which can be installed on the wall in any part of the room/house
- Floor heaters which are portable and compact and can be easily placed on the floor in the living room, bedroom, or even baby nursery
- Baseboard heaters heat the air close to the ground which then rises and naturally circulates in the house/room. They are highly energy-efficient, require less space, are quiet, and very safe
- Space heaters- These will keep you warm and comfy as their sole purpose is to warm the surrounding objects and people
4. Energy Efficiency
One of the biggest drawbacks of heating your home is that space heaters can easily skyrocket your energy bills. If you want to keep your heating costs low, you’ll want to find an energy-efficient space heater. In this case, you need to check for special features like low wattage, programmable timers to ensure minimal power usage, adjustable thermostats, energy-saving features, and more.
Portable space heaters can quickly become a fire hazard if not properly handled or carefully monitored. Some older models overheat even on the surface and therefore become too hot to touch. They can become a health hazard for you, your baby, and even pets.
Thankfully, most modern models are carefully designed with safety features that reduce the risk of fires and burns. Most of these models come with Cool-to-touch surfaces, making them safe to touch. Others have Tip-Over Protection which includes an automatic internal switch that automatically shuts off when the space heater is accidentally knocked over or tipped over. This prevents potential fire hazards.
6. Noise Level
Nobody wants a noisy space heater. The good news is that most modern models are generally quiet or basically produce less noise compared to others, especially those fan-forced heaters. Be sure to check the noise level of the space heater you’re buying,
De’Longhi Oil-Filled Radiator Space Heater, Quiet 1500W, Adjustable Thermostat, 3 Heat Settings, Timer, Energy Saving, Safety Features, Nice for Home with Pets/Kids, Light Gray, Comfort Temp EW7707CM
Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove with Remote Control – Portable Indoor Space Heater – DFI-5010 (Black)
De’Longhi Mica Thermic Panel Heater, Full Room Quiet 1500W, Freestanding / Easy Install Wall Mount, Adjustable Thermostat, 2 Heat Settings, Black – HMP1500
Best Space Heater for Large Room with High Ceilings-Top 5 Picks
1. Dr Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater, 1500-Watt
The Dr.Infrared 1500W Heater Portable Space Heater is currently one of the best and most popular space heaters in the market, and it’s all for good reasons.
According to its manufacturer, this heater provides more heat compared to other 1500W heaters. This is attributed to its Dual Heating System that efficiently optimizes heat transfer rate, meaning it’s able to produce more heat while using less power.
This of course allows you to save on energy while making your living space warmer and more comfy.
And of course, because it uses the Infrared Heating Technology which warms objects rather than the surrounding air, it takes less time to make you and other people in the room warm. This makes it an excellent choice for larger rooms with high ceilings since you don’t have to wait for the air in the room to get warm first.
Now let’s discuss some of its best features that make it a popular choice among many home/apartment owners.
- Programmable Timer– Thanks to the Programmable Timer, you can easily set a specific number of hours you would like it to run. This can be 6-8 or even 12 hours, after which the heater will automatically shut off. This is a great feature especially if you’re looking to reduce your energy costs.
- Overheat Protection– The Dr.Infrared space heater is equipped with a temperature sensor that detects when the internal components of the heater become excessively hot. Upon detecting overheating, it switches off automatically.
- Tip-Over Shut Off– To avoid accidental fire hazards, this heater features a shut-off sensor/switch that automatically shuts it off in case it’s accidentally knocked or tipped over. This is a great safety feature especially if you have small kids or pets.
- Safe to Touch-The Dr.Infrared heater is safe to use near children or even pets as it is cool to touch, unlike some older models that get hot on the surface. Yet another reason why it’s so popular.
- Quiet Operation– This is one of the quietest space heaters in the market. According to the manufacturer, this model uses a powerful blower that generates high pressure which lets it move large high volumes of air at a significantly lower speed. It has a noise level of 39dB, which is pretty quiet for a standard space heater
- Removable Filter– This model comes with a removable, washable, and replaceable filter. Simply remove it and clean it to ensure continued performance. You can as well replace it when it’s worn out or past its expiry date.
- Remote Control– With a remote control, you can operate the heater right at the comfort of your sofa- there is no need to walk over it and do it manually
- Thermostat-Also included is thermostat that regulates the temperature of the heater. It automatically shuts it off and on so as to maintain optimal temperature
- This ensures your room doesn’t get too hot or too cold
- Certified by UL USA and Canada
Overall, this heater is such a great choice for your large room with a high ceiling. The good news is that with such an energy-efficient space heater, you’ll never again have to worry about your high ceiling skyrocketing your energy bills.
It’s also budget friendly compared to most models, another reasons that makes it so popular among home and apartment owners.
It won’t take up much space since its compact and it’s not too heavy so you can easily carry it with you to the bedroom, living room, or any other room you want heated.
2.DeLonghi Oil-Filled Radiator 1500W Space Heater
The Delonghi Oil-Filled Radiator 1500W Space Heater is yet another popular space heater and is especially a great choice for larger rooms with high ceilings.
Utilizing radiant heating technology, this heater produces maximum radiant heat to ensure the room keeps warm even in extremely low temperatures. Even better, the heater features Comfort Temp Technology that helps to automatically maintain the optimal room temperature and power settings. This important feature helps reduce energy bills, thus saving you money in the long run.
Built with energy efficiency in mind, the DeLonghi space heater also lessens your power costs by only heating the room you’re in. This is excellent especially if you have high ceilings since the heat will only circulate in the room, instead of spreading to other rooms.
Like most modern models, the Delonghi also features an adjustable thermostat with three heat settings so you can easily adjust the temperature to suit your needs. Like when it’s not all that chilly, simply set it to lower temperature and save on energy costs.
Other special features include:
- Antifreeze Thermostat Settings that allow the space heater to automatically turn itself on when the temperature plummets up to 44 degrees Fahrenheit
- Low Surface Temperature-Even though the heater produces sufficient amounts of heat, the outer surface never gets hot to touch. This makes it a safer choice especially if you have kids or pets
- Overheat Protection– The heater includes a thermal shutoff that automatically shuts it off to prevent overheating
- Maintenance-Free– You’ll never have to worry about refilling this oil-filled radiator as its oil system is permanently sealed.
- Durable construction– The heater is constructed with rust-resistant, high durable metal for maximum durability and performance
- Quiet Operation– The heater operates silently…which means you can place it in the bedroom or baby nursery
- No Assembly Required– The heater comes fully assembled…eliminates the hustle of having to piece up the pieces together
- Portable– Comes with wheels that make it easy to move the space heater from one room to another
- Budget-friendly– The Delonghi space heater is a little bit cheaper compared to most models. You get to save more money for the same performance, quality, and safety
Overall, the Delonghi Oil-Filled Radiator Heater is a great choice for those looking to heat their homes or apartments. And because it heats only one room at a time, it’s an excellent choice if you have more space, including higher ceilings.
It’s also quite price-friendly plus its durable construction will last you years.
3.Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove Indoor Space Heater
The Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove and Space Heater is another impressive space heater. It will heat up to 1000 square feet, making it perfect for large rooms with higher ceilings.
A unique piece of art. This heater uses a 3D flame effect technology that showcases realistic flames that burn right behind the logs.
A 5000 BTU infrared heater, the Duraflame 3D utilizes infrared heat technology that releases heat instantly, providing a great deal of warmth and comfort to everyone in the room.
Even better, the infrared heat produced by the unit produces heat rays pretty much similar to the sun’s rays, thus allowing it to heat large areas.
It comes with 5 adjustable brightness settings that let you easily change the look and effect of the flames. Basically, you can adjust the settings to suit your mood, room décor, or even the weather.
One impressive feature you’ll absolutely love about the Duraflame 3D Heater is its Zone Heating Technology. This technology lets you save on power costs by allowing you to direct heated air only in occupied spaces, not the entire house.
Another awesome feature is that unlike most traditional heaters, Duraflame Space Heater does not deplete the humidity in the air. This simply means that it won’t dry out your skin or dry out the air.
Other special features include;
- Durable construction- The heater features sturdy and durable metal construction, including a high-quality glass door and side windows
- A great addition to any room décor
- Overheat protection- automatically shuts off to prevent overheating
- Cool to the touch– which makes it safe for use around pets and kids
- You can set up the flame effect either with heat or without
Overall, the Duraflame 3D Heater is one impressive unit that won’t just give your large room with high ceilings some warmth and comfort, but will also enhance its look.
The stove heater is a little bit big, but it still won’t take up much space in the room, which is an added advantage.
And as far as the price is concerned, it’s not as cheap as the other two models we’ve reviewed. But we have to agree that its advanced features and performance make it totally worth the price.
On the flipside: Some people feel it’s a little bit noisy…others feel otherwise. But given the numerous positive reviews, it has received, it seems a lot of people are not bothered by the little noise.
4.De’Longhi Mica Thermic Panel Heater
One of the best features of the Delonghi Mica Thermic Panel Heater is the fact that you can easily mount it on the wall or simply place it on the floor. For a room with a high ceiling, you can mount it on the wall as this will ensure the room is evenly heated.
This 1500W space heater produces enough heat to warm medium to large size rooms. With an adjustable thermostat with two heat settings, you can either choose 1500W for more warmth or 750W if the room isn’t so chilly.
This sleek panel heater is fairly quiet, especially since it does not have a fan. You get to enjoy warmth and comfort without annoying noises. You can even place it in the bedroom or your child’s room.
Being a lightweight and compact heater, you can place it anywhere in the house. It also includes safety features like thermal cut-off to prevent overheating. Tip over protection to prevent accidental fire hazards if knocked or tipped over. The heater also has Anti-freeze settings that protect the pipes in your house from freezing.
Overall, this is a great option if you’re looking to heat medium and large rooms. It’s a perfect choice for high ceilings and of course, an affordable and energy efficient choice.
5.Aikoper Space Heater-, 1500W Oil Filled Radiator Heater
Our fifth and last pick is the Aikoper Space Heater Oil-Filled Radiator Heater. This oil-filled heater is ideal for medium to large rooms and would be a perfect choice for your high ceilings as well.
It comes with 3 heat settings that allow you to adjust the amount of heat produced from 600,900 to 1500W. This is to allow you easily customize the heat according to your needs. Like if the room is extremely cold, the highest setting will do.
The Aikoper heater also lets you lessen your power bill as with its inbuilt digital thermometer. You can simply adjust the room temperature and optimize power consumption with ease.
The heater also features a sleek, compact design and a crisp clear LED display that lets you adjust settings with ease.
You’ll also be happy to know that the heater comes with various safety features which include tip-over and overheat protection. It also has Anti-freeze settings that protect your pipes from becoming frozen during winter.
The heater is also lightweight and portable and thanks to its maneuverable caster wheels, you can easily move it from one room to another.
Other special features include:
- It has a unique design that maximizes heat flow into the room
- Silent operation
- Quite affordable
- Durable construction
Overall, the Aikoper Oil-Filled Radiator Heater is an excellent choice for anyone looking to heat up their medium-large rooms quickly. It comes with all the required heat settings plus its inbuilt safety technology makes it safe to use around children.
You can easily install it on the wall and because it’s portable, heating each room is quite easy. The price is very friendly as it’s cheaper compared to most models in the market. The construction is top-notch, plus its sleek appearance and design will greatly enhance your living room.
Best Space Heater for Large Room with High Ceilings-Conclusion
There you have it, the best space heaters for large rooms with high ceilings. Hopefully, our comprehensive review and buyer’s guide will help you make an informed decision when picking a space heater. Good luck!